Thursday, January 8, 2009

Graveyard



This is a grave marker for a veteran in a "Paupers Graveyard" in Flint. The site is maintained by a retired marine. The Flint Township News' Bernie Hillman is doing the story.


All of these shots were taken with a Nikon D2H, with a manual 50mm 1.4 lens. When I got to the assignment, I discovered that my camera wouldn't function with the digital lenses, meaning the single-use manual lens from the 60's had to be used. No autofocus, no zoom, and worst of all, no wide angle.

I tripped over poor Bernie trying to get the right angle with this lens.

My problems with the shot is that there are no people. Lewis is right- no people means very little interest.

Having a narrow view lens limits my options, which hurts more in the lower shots.
This particular shot had to be photoshopped for brightness and dust-cleaned.




This shot is of the marine who maintains the old graves. There were Spanish American and civil war graves there. In his left hand is a print out of the map showing where the graves are divided up by age, war, and most significantly, race. This is me compensating for not having a wide angle lens. I thought getting the man gesticulating might be interesting. I don't think it worked.



The shot to the right is self explanatory- he was clearing off the marker of a black man, a veteran who died in a vet hospital. This doesn't work because I should gave been on the other side of him. I would have gotten a ground up shot- but the lens would force me to keep quite a distance.
This is what I would prefer the blog to be about- throwing up my photojournalism and talking about what worked what didn't.
What didn't work were my digital lenses, and my fingers after shooting with no gloves on in the winter.


















No comments:

Post a Comment